Monday, August 7, 2017

Five Contemplations (sutra)

Seth Auberon, Dhr. Seven, CC Liu (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly; based on original translation by Ven. Thanissaro (trans.) Upajjhatthana Sutra: Subjects for Contemplation (AN 5.57)

"There are five things [remembrances] one should reflect on frequently, whether one is a woman or a man, a layperson or ordained. What are the five?
  1. 'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond (transcended) aging.' This is the first contemplation one should reflect on frequently, whether one is a woman or a man, layperson or ordained.
  2. 'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...
  3. 'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...
  4. 'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...
  5. 'I am the owner of my karma (actions), heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator [judge]. Whatever I do, for good or harm, to that will I fall heir.' ...
"These are the five contemplations one should reflect on frequently, whether one is a woman or a man, layperson or ordained.

1.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one frequently reflect... 'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging'?

"There are beings who are intoxicated with youth. Because of intoxication with youth, they conduct themselves in an unprofitable (harmful, unskillful, unwholesome) way by body... speech... and mind. But when they frequently reflect, such intoxication with youth will either be entirely abandoned or begin to weaken...
 
2.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one frequently reflect... 'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness'?

"There are beings who are intoxicated with health. Because of that intoxication, they conduct themselves in an unprofitable way by body... speech... and mind. But when they frequently reflect, such intoxication will either be entirely abandoned or begin to weaken...
 
3.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one frequently reflect... 'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death'?

"There are beings who are intoxicated with life. Because of that intoxication, they conduct themselves in an unprofitable way by body... speech... and mind. But when they frequently reflect, such intoxication will either be entirely abandoned or begin to weaken...
 
4.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one frequently reflect... 'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me'?

"There are beings who feel desire and passion for things they find dear and appealing. Because of that passion, they conduct themselves in an unprofitable way by body... speech... and mind. But when they frequently reflect, that desire and passion for the things they find dear and appealing will either be entirely abandoned or begin to weaken...
 
5.
"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one frequently reflect... 'I am the owner of my (karma) actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator.

"Whatever I do, for good or harm, to that will I fall heir'? There are beings who conduct themselves in an unprofitable way by body... speech... and mind. But when they frequently reflect, that conduct of body, speech, and mind will either be entirely abandoned or begin to weaken...
 
Further contemplation
1. "Now, a disciple of the noble ones considers this: 'I am not the only one subject to aging, who has not transcended (gone beyond) aging. To the extent that there are beings -- past and future, passing away and rearising (being reborn) -- all living beings are subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.'

Path arises
2. "When one frequently reflects on this, the [factors of the] path arise. One sticks with the path, develops it, cultivates it. As one sticks with the path, develops it, and cultivates it, the fetters are abandoned, the obsessions destroyed.
 
"Further, a disciple of the noble ones considers this:
  • 3. 'I am not the only one subject to illness, who has not gone beyond illness.'...
  • 4. 'I am not the only one subject to death, who has not gone beyond death.'...
  • 5. 'I am not the only one who will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.'...
"A disciple of the noble ones considers this: 'I am not the only one who is owner of my (karma) actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator; who -- whatever I do, for good or harm, to that will I fall heir.

"To the extent that there are living beings -- past and future, passing away and rearising -- all beings are the owner of their (karma) actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, related through their actions, and have their actions as their arbitrator. Whatever they do, for good or harm, to that will they fall heir.'

"When one frequently reflects on this, the [factors of the] path arise. One sticks with the path, develops it, cultivates it. As one sticks with the path, develops it, and cultivates it, the fetters are abandoned, the obsessions destroyed."

The Buddha
"Subject to birth, subject to aging, subject to death, uninstructed-ordinary people are repelled by those who suffer from that to which they are also subject.
"And if I were to be repelled by beings subject to these things, it would not be fitting for me, living as they do. As I maintained this attitude -- knowing the Dharma -- I overcame all intoxication with health, youth, and life as one who sees renunciation (letting go, detachment, non-clinging) as rest.

For me, energy arose, nirvana was clearly glimpsed. There is now no way I could delight in sensual pleasures. Having fulfilled the high life, I will not return [to the low, base].

No comments: